If you’re considering dentures in Los Angeles, you’re in good company. Did you know that Ben Affleck, Emma Watson, Clark Gable, Nichole “Snooki” Polizzi, and Jon Bon Jovi have all worn dentures at some point in their life? It just goes to show that these traditional tooth replacement options have come a long way in their ability to restore a set of beautiful, functional, and lifelike set of pearly whites. In fact, there are a variety of different types of dentures that can help you regain your confident, complete smile. Read on to learn more about your denture options and how to tell which one might be right for you!
The classic image of a complete arch of artificial teeth is known as a full denture. They’re crafted out of biocompatible materials that closely resemble the appearance of healthy, natural enamel and gum tissue. The custom-made base fits snugly on top of the gums, which forms a natural seal that holds it in place while you talk and eat.
This type of denture is a great option for those who:
- Are missing all their upper and/or lower teeth.
- Want to replace their missing teeth right away.
Partial dentures are very similar to full dentures, except that they’re designed to only replace a few missing teeth. They utilize the same acrylic, gum-colored type of base that sits on top of the gums, but only include teeth in the spaces that need to be filled. Unfortunately, this means that they can’t be held in place by a seal. Instead, they’re secured by metal clasps that have been attached to the other healthy teeth.
Partial dentures are a good choice for those who:
- Are missing more teeth than can be replaced by a dental bridge.
- Still have plenty of healthy teeth alongside the gaps in their smile.
Options That Include Dental Implants
While dentures are a traditional and quick method to restore your pearly whites, they are only able to replace a missing tooth above the gumline. Underneath, a natural tooth’s roots stimulate blood flow in the jawbone and keep it healthy. Without this support, the bone tissue begins to deteriorate, which can cause the jaw to shrink and the facial features to shift. Thankfully, if you have enough bone tissue still present, you can mimic your missing tooth’s roots with the help of a dental implant. There are two main types of dentures that include dental implants:
- Mini dental implants: These are small titanium posts that can be inserted into the sockets of your missing teeth. They’ll fuse with your jawbone to create a firm, lasting foundation in your mouth. Then, your denture is secured simply by snapping it into place. Since mini implants don’t require true dental surgery, they’re a very quick and comfortable procedure.
- Implant-retained dentures: For the most permanent, functional, and comfortable replacement, you may want to choose implant-retained dentures. This method involves using dental implants to hold your denture in place for a lifetime with options like the four-post solution or bar-clip solution. While this procedure may take longer than other replacements, it offers an array of unique benefits in the long run.
As you can see, you have several options when it comes to restoring your pearly whites with dentures. Talk to your Los Angeles dentist to discover which option is best for you and your unique smile!
About the Practice
Dr. Les Latner of Westside Dental Associates has been keeping the smiles of Los Angeles, CA happy and healthy for over 30 years now. He offers a variety of high-quality tooth replacement options to help his patients regain their smiles and their confidence, regardless of how many teeth they’re missing. He’d be happy to evaluate your oral health and help you decide which tooth replacement option is right for you, so feel free to reach him via his website or at (310) 477-1081.