View Our Specials Download Our Forms Like Us on Facebook Leave a Google+ Reviews
Request Request Appointment Like Us Like us on Facebook Reviews Read Our Reviews Call Give us a Call Map View our Map
Early & Late Appointments Available Dental Emergencies Welcome Free On-Site Parking
2990 S Sepulveda Blvd Suite 204, Los Angeles, CA 90064 (310) 477-1081

How Saliva Protects Your Smile

July 30, 2013

general dentistryAs we indicated in our last post, saliva can play an important role in protecting teeth from decay. Specifically, saliva helps neutralize the acid created by bacteria in the mouth. But that’s not all it does.

Saliva is 99% water, and water—as we said last time—helps keep teeth clean. The other 1% of saliva is made up of electrolytes, mucus, glycoproteins, enzymes, and antibacterial compounds. As you eat, saliva breaks down food particles around teeth and offers your enamel special protection. What’s more, because saliva contains calcium and phosphates, it helps with the re-mineralization process, too.

It’s because of saliva’s benefits to oral health that dentist will recommend chewing gum after a meal. Not only will it help you clean your teeth, but it will prevent bacteria from getting out of control and creating destructive acid.

Want to know more about how saliva can help you support your oral health? Call Westside Dental Associates today for an appointment with Dr. Latner. We provide great general, cosmetic, and restorative care from patients in and around Los AngelesSanta MonicaBeverly HillsWest LA, and Mar Vista.

by: at .