The benefits of modern advancements in technology and techniques are plentiful. People can get problems solved much easier and reliably than before. This even includes missing teeth! Dentures or dental bridges were the only solutions for a gapped smile for many years. Now, dental implants are considered the top of the game in tooth loss solutions. But are they the absolute pinnacle of restorations? Is there something better coming? Here’s what to know about dental implants.
Why Are Dental Implants a Top Choice for Missing Teeth?
The majority of dental professionals consider dental implants the gold standard of tooth replacements. Unlike dentures and bridges, they replace the entire tooth structure, from root to crown. They replicate your natural teeth by placing biocompatible titanium steel posts into the jaw. Their benefits include:
- Completely lifelike: The restorations of dental implants are made to look very natural. Additionally, since the biocompatible implant posts bond with the jawbone, they feel and act just like natural teeth.
- Durability: While dentures and bridges usually need to be replaced every few years, dental implants can last from 30 years to an entire lifetime!
- Stability: Dental implants fully integrate with your jaw in a process called osseointegration. This makes the restoration incredibly strong. There are no worries about them falling out while eating or speaking.
- Restore full functionality: Other tooth loss solutions restore the ability to eat and speak but not completely. Dental implants fully restore bite power and allow for easy communication.
- Contributes to overall oral health: Missing teeth cause the jawbone to deteriorate due to lack of stimulation. Dental implants stop the jaw from diminishing and encourage the development of new bone.
So, Are Dental Implants the Absolute Pinnacle of Tooth Replacements?
As you can see, dental implants are currently the highest standard of tooth loss solutions because they so closely replace the entire tooth. This offers incomparable benefits when standing next to other replacements. Of course, as with many other industries, the field of dentistry continues to evolve. While dental implants are the gold standard at this moment, there could be an even better tooth replacement developed in the future.
However, for now, dental implants are a wonderful option to complete your smile. By visiting your dentist and discussing your options, you can be on your way to a beautiful and healthy full set of pearly whites again!
About the Author
Dr. Les Latner and his team at Westside Dental Associates are eager to help you achieve a whole, healthy, and beautiful smile! He is one of the less than 10 dentists who’ve achieved both accreditation in the American Academy of General Dentistry and the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. With over 30 years of experience, he offers a wide range of services, including restorative care like dental implants. To schedule a consultation, contact him through his website or call (310) 907-7987.