October 29, 2014
Over 30,000 people are diagnosed with oral cancer each year. It is more common among men than women, and risk factors include excessive tobacco use, alcohol use and sun exposure. About 20 -30% of head and neck cancers have been linked to HPV (human papillomavirus) infections. HPV involves a type of oral cancer that attacks the back of the tongue and the tonsils. Oral cancer can form anywhere in or around the mouth, on the lips, inside the cheeks, on the gums, on the tongue, on the roof of the mouth, or on the surfaces underneath the tongue. As with any cancer, early detection is vital. Make an appointment with Dr. Latner at Westside Dental Associates today for your oral cancer screening. Westside Dental Associates serves patients throughout West Los Angeles and surrounding areas including Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice, Beverly Hills, Marina del Rey, Rancho Park and Mar Vista.
Oral Cancer Warning Signs
If you are experiencing any of the following you should make an appointment for an oral cancer screening immediately:
- Mouth sore that lasts more than a few weeks
- A lump or mass in the mouth or on the neck
- Bleeding in the mouth
- White, red, or white-and-red patches in the mouth that don’t go away
- Pain while swallowing, chewing or talking
- Persistent earaches
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty wearing dentures
Oral Cancer Screenings in Los Angeles, CA
Checking for oral cancer is a part of the routine semi-annual dental checkup. An oral cancer diagnosis involves a physical exam, a CT scan, and a biopsy. Successful treatment outcomes depend upon how early it is detected. Make an appointment with Dr. Latner at Westside Dental Associates today for your routine oral cancer screening. Westside Dental Associates serve patients throughout West Los Angeles and surrounding areas including Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice, Beverly Hills, Marina del Rey, Rancho Park and Mar Vista.
Comments Off on Risk Factors and Symptoms of Oral Cancer
October 22, 2014
If you have ever had a toothache, you know that it is one of the worst kinds of pain you can experience. If you have a severe toothache, it is a dental emergency and you should get to a dentist as soon as possible. However, you may find yourself in a situation where you can’t see a dentist immediately. If this is the case you may be tempted to try anything that can stop or even dull the pain temporarily. We found some home remedies that may help relieve the pain while you wait to see the dentist. It’s important to keep in mind that the best way to deal with a toothache is to prevent it from happening by taking good care of your teeth in the first place. You can prevent painful toothaches by making an appointment with Dr. Latner at Westside Dental Associates today. Dr. Latner helps patients keep their teeth healthy and pain-free everyday, and he can help you too. Westside Dental Associates serves patients throughout West LA, CA, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice, Beverly Hills, Marina del Rey, Rancho Park, Mar Vista and nearby cities.
Toothache Pain Home Remedies
- Clove Oil- Soak a cotton ball with a mixture made of two to three drops of clove oil and ¼ teaspoon of olive oil. Put the cotton ball in your mouth near the tooth that hurts and bite down to keep it in place.
- Cough Drops- Cough drops usually contain a small amount of anesthetic (menthol or benzocaine) which could help relieve minor tooth pain. Pop one or two in your mouth and suck on them. Also try applying a dab of Vick’s VapoRub on the outside of your cheek where your tooth hurts.
- Floss- The root of your toothache could be food that’s trapped between your teeth. In this case, try flossing, rinsing with mouthwash, or using inter-dental brushes.
- Tea- Try applying a hot tea bag directly to the tooth. Tea contains tannic acid, which reduces swelling. Also try a cucumber slice placed on the tooth or a cotton ball soaked in brandy.
Toothache Pain Relief and Treatment in Los Angeles, CA
While these remedies may provide some temporary relief, it’s still important to see a dentist as soon as possible as a toothache can be a symptom of more serious dental problems. Rather than waiting around for a toothache, be proactive with your dental health and make an appointment with Dr. Latner at Westside Dental Associates today. Dr. Latner can help you prevent toothaches and gum disease. Westside Dental Associates serves patients throughout West Los Angeles, CA, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice, Beverly Hills, Marina del Rey, Rancho Park, Mar Vista and nearby cities.
Comments Off on How Effective Are Toothache Pain Home Remedies?
October 15, 2014
It’s that time of year again. Halloween is upon us, and if you have kids at home, you could soon be fighting off waves of sugar-induced energy and excitement. While you want your kids to enjoy the holiday, you may have concerns about how Halloween affects their dental health. Consider our advice and then make an appointment with Dr. Latner as Westside Dental Associates. Dr. Latner specializes in both adult and pediatric dental care. Dr. Latner helps families keep their healthy smiles year round throughout Los Angeles, CA, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice, Beverly Hills, Marina del Rey, Rancho Park, Mar Vista and the surrounding communities.
Pediatric Dental Care: How to Fight Cavities on Halloween
- Treats to Avoid- You are the first line of defense for your kid’s dental care. Steer your children clear of especially sugary treats like gummy bears. They contain the equivalent of four teaspoons of pure sugar per serving. Also try to keep them from eating hard candies like gobstoppers. These candies take so long to dissolve that the extra long exposure to your child’s teeth can be damaging. Sticky candies like Starburst and Tootsie Rolls are particularly bad for teeth as well because they are not only sugary but starchy and can easily get stuck between teeth and in hard to reach places.
- Healthy Treat Ideas
- Dark Chocolate Covered Apples
- Veggie Skeleton
- Spiders on a Log ( Plastic Spiders and Peanut Butter on Celery Sticks)
- Pumpkin Dippers (Pumpkin Shaped Carrots on a Stick With Hummus)
- Pumpkin Cupcakes (Pumpkin Oat Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing)
- White Chocolate Pretzel Webs
Pediatric Dental Care in Los Angeles, CA
There are many healthy substitutions for the sugary treats kids love at this time of year. You can make this Halloween, and every Halloween after, healthier by offering up fun and healthy snacks instead. Just remember that staying on top of your kid’s dental care also means making sure they see a dentist twice a year. Make an appointment with Dr. Latner as Westside Dental Associates. Dr. Latner can help you preserve your child’s good dental health. Westside Dental Associates serves families throughout West Los Angeles, CA, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice, Beverly Hills, Marina del Rey, Rancho Park, Mar Vista and the surrounding cities.
Comments Off on Pediatric Dental Care: Healthy Halloween Advice
October 10, 2014
Taking good care of your teeth and gums is a 24/7 endeavor. You may already know that dentists recommend brushing in the morning and before you go to sleep at night, but you may not be aware of other steps you should be taking at night to protect your oral health. Get informed and then make an appointment to see Dr. Latner at Westside Dental Associates. Dr. Latner specializes in preventative and restorative dental care for patients throughout West Los Angeles, CA, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice, Beverly Hills, Marina del Rey, Rancho Park, Mar Vista and the surrounding communities.
Nightly Dental Care Routine
Having a good dental care routine at night is important to prevent tooth decay and gum disease. At night we don’t swallow and our mouths can dry out, creating the perfect environment for bacterial growth. If we forget to brush and floss before bed, the bacteria will have plenty of food particles at their disposal to turn into tooth eroding acid. You can stop this from happening by remembering to brush, floss and rinse with antiseptic mouthwash every night before you go to sleep. If you have a history of tooth decay and gum disease, or are at higher risks for developing those concerns, you may also need to brush and floss after dinner to decrease the likelihood of their development.
Dental Care at Night for Bruxism
Another problem you may have at night is a condition called bruxism, more commonly referred to as “teeth grinding”. Bruxism occurs in people with a bite misalignment and crooked or missing teeth. You may not even be aware of the condition except for a dull throbbing and persistent headache or toothache that won’t go away. Excessive bruxism can cause chronic dental care problems such as tooth loss and painful disorders of the jaw like TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder). The good news is that teeth grinding can be easily treated with a custom-fitted nightguard from our Dr. Latner.
Quality Dental Care in Los Angeles, CA
Prevention is the key to a healthy smile. If you are proactive in your dental care, you will save a lot of time and money on dental treatments for conditions that can be prevented with a comprehensive dental care routine. The most important step you can take is to make an appointment to see Dr. Latner at Westside Dental Associates. Dr. Latner wants to partner with you to maintain your good oral health. Dr. Latner proudly serves patients throughout West Los Angeles, CA, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Venice, Beverly Hills, Marina del Rey, Rancho Park, Mar Vista and the surrounding communities.
Comments Off on Dental Care at Night