It’s 2017 and your New Year’s resolution was to try new things. So, you joined the It’s Always Sunny in Culver City Adult Kickball Team. You’re stoked to be at the field for the first official game – you even bought some trendy new knee pads to be in style while you show off your athletic abilities. The coach stations you at first base, right where all the action is. Things are going well until suddenly, a rogue ground-ball bounces – hard – and catches you right in the mouth. Getting your wits about you, you wipe your mouth and see blood. Your tongue searches for what’s wrong – oh no! You’re missing a tooth! You find your tooth on the ground and rush to the sidelines. Your entire team grabs their phones to search for an emergency dentist in Los Angeles. You’re in luck – Dr. Les Latner at Westside Dental Associates is right up the road and can see you right away.
Dental First Aid Tips
Since proper dental first aid is key to preserving your dental health in emergency situations, Dr. Latner offers some tips on what to do in some common dental emergencies.
- You’ve had a tooth knocked out
- Pick up the tooth by the crown (the part you bite/chew with), not the root (the pointy end that lives in the gum).
- If it’s an adult tooth, try placing the tooth back in the socket.
- If reinserting the tooth makes you queasy, put the tooth in a glass of milk (regardless of if it’s an adult tooth or baby tooth).
- Call Westside Dental Associates right away – (310) 907-7987. They may be able to save your tooth.
- You injured your jaw
- Go to the ER immediately! Call Dr. Latner (or have a friend call) while you’re on your way to the Emergency Room. Your dentist might be able to meet you at the ER to help with treatment.
- Apply ice to your jaw to help reduce swelling.
- If the ER doesn’t find a jaw fracture, ask your dentist to check again. Jaw fractures can sometimes be missed in the ER.
- You broke, chipped, or cracked a tooth
- Stay calm! While a broken, chipped, or cracked tooth is an emergency, they are usually non-urgent emergencies, especially if there’s no pain (Painless tooth breaks are common).
- If there is pain, call Westside Dental Associates right away.
- You’ll most likely need a filling, or possibly a crown, so schedule an appointment with Dr. Latner as soon as possible.
- You have a toothache
- Dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a mug of boiling water. Wait till this cools a bit, and use it as a warm mouthwash.
- If salt water isn’t your thing, you can always swish and rinse with hydrogen peroxide (be careful not to swallow).
- Floss! You might have something lodged in between your teeth causing the ache.
- Reach out to Dr. Latner as soon as possible for an emergency appointment.
- IF YOUR FACE IS SWOLLEN, do not delay! Facial swelling can mean a serious, even life-threatening, infection.
How Westside Dental Associates Can Help
Dr. Latner and team at Westside Dental Associates will see emergency patients as soon as possible. He can help with fillings, crowns, and other reconstructive services. The important thing is to remember to treat a dental emergency like any other health emergency – don’t wait to get treatment! Contact Dr. Latner if you’re experiencing a dental emergency – he’s the superior choice for an emergency dentist in Los Angeles.